Adrenal fatigue is a term used to explain a collection of non-specific symptoms. Such as fatigue, nervousness, sleep disturbance, body aches, and digestive problems. When our adrenal glands do not work properly, it develops the above symptoms. It is considered to be a disease but, it is not proven medical condition.
Our adrenal glands produce a variety of hormones that are essential for our body to work properly. Adrenal fatigue may be due to insufficient production of some adrenal hormone.
You feel tired but don’t know the reason? Do you feel the lack of strength in your body? Do you have difficulties in getting up from the bed in the morning? If yes, it means you are suffering from adrenal fatigue.
Content of the article
What is adrenal fatigue?
It is a stress related condition. It occurs when adrenal glands, hypothalamus (part of the brain) and pituitary gland work below their optimum level. Together they are sometimes called HPA axis.
You might be aware of the fact that adrenal glands play a vital role in maintaining our body health. Especially, they are responsible for controlling the body response to stress. It works by stimulating secretion of some hormone like cortisol, DHEA, and epinephrine. These hormones regulate heart beat rate, breathing, immune system and more.
Causes of adrenal fatigue:
- The most common causes include stress for a long time, chronic diseases and relationship problems. If adrenal glands get stimulated for a long time, it can cause weakening of the glands.
- Due to some chronic disease, the glands may also be weakened. So, they don’t function properly when we need them.
- People who are under mental, physical and emotional stress are likely to have this fatigue.
- Other causes may include anger, depression, high sugar intake, over-exercising, and sleep deprivation.
Signs and Symptoms of Adrenal fatigue:
The signs and symptoms of adrenal fatigue are:
Most common symptoms:
- Feeling difficulty in getting up from the bed in the morning even after long sleep.
- Feeling high level of tiredness whole day while at work
- One does not know how to handle stresses.
- Feeling cravings for salty food substances.
- Intake of the high level of calories at night.
- Overuse of sugar and caffeine and their products
- Immune system loses its ability to fight against diseases.
Less common symptoms:
Some other symptoms are also there which may be linked to most common symptoms listed above.
- Dark spot and circles below eyes
- Having dry skin
- Frequent urination
- Obesity/ weight gain
- Numbness in fingers
- Low blood pressure
- Low sugar level
How to treat adrenal fatigue?
The following are few tips:
Diet plan in adrenal fatigue:
If you have fatigue then, healthy food is very important for defense against fatigue. So, it is important to know food allergies, sensitivities, and intolerances. How to deal with food sensitivities? Here is how:
- If you know food can cause a problem, then you must be more careful. You should avoid.
- You can take supplements to strengthen your gut.
- Also, you can use supplements to improve the rate of your digestion.
Simple diet principles:
- Eat a meal at right times.
- If you have adrenal fatigue, you should know which food to avoid and what to eat?
- Cut out the caffeine.
The right way of Exercising:
- Exercise is very important in fatigue. This should be in limits. Better options are walking, swimming, yoga or tai chi. These will boost your circulation without putting too much stress on your adrenal glands.
- Deep breathing and meditation have also valuable benefits in fatigue.
Supplements for adrenal fatigue:
The most common supplements used to treat adrenal fatigue are:
Vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin B5, B6, B12
- Vitamin C
- Licorice root
- Siberian ginseng
- Rhodiola Rosea
- Maca root
Other supplements that can be considered:
For use and details of the supplements click here.
How Long Does It Take To Recover From Adrenal Fatigue?
The answer depends upon:
- The stage or the severity of the adrenal fatigue.
- The willingness to change
- Diet choice