There are many different brands of tanning lotions available in the market, the features present in them also varies. Sometimes, it becomes difficult to choose one from them. For your convenience, we have listed the best and cheap tanning lotions-indoors and outdoors.
Indoors tanning lotions:
An indoor tanning lotion helps in tanning faster and darker in the sunshine. If you’re planning to tan indoors, you need a good indoor tanning lotion. It will speed up the tanning process, help you bronzed for a longer time, and keep your skin healthy.
Why you need a good indoor tanning lotion?
A good tanning lotion is important because, it:
- Moisturizes your skin.
- Helps in the intensification of UV light for speeding up tanning process.
- Decreases the chances of wrinkles.
- Protects you from burning
Types of indoor tanning lotions
There are many types of indoor tanning lotion. Some increase the blood flow to the surface of your skin and result in the production of melanin (It is a skin pigment that makes you look tanned). While others indoor tanning lotion create cooking and calming sensation on the skin when you tan.
Tan indoor safely:
Like any new skin product, it is a great idea to test it on a small surface area for a day or more, before you spread it all over your body. If you’re new to tanning, take it slow. Follow the advice of salon staff. Make sure that you protect your eyes.
Read also: Skin care product from camel milk
Cheap & Best indoor tanning lotions list:
Best indoor tanning lotions are listed below:
1. Millenium Tanning New Solid Black Bronzer Tanning:
This is an advanced tanning lotion that contains silicon and bronzers that accelerate darkling. The silicon portion makes the skin soft and supple. Improvement in texture and appearance of skin is also due to the presence of silicon.
It is 100X, which means skin gets darker quickly. It is one of the best indoor tanning lotions because of its quick results, even after one time use. The light orchid blush scent is also present in this product, which leaves pleasant effects after its application.
Remove the bronzer from your hands quickly after its application to prevent stains. For most people who used it, the product was useful, for few it developed orange and yellow streaks.
2. Australian Gold Cheeky Brown Tanning Accelerator + Bronzer:
Gold cheeky brown tanning lotion is a quality product with a reasonable price.
The product has shown excellent results for those who have fair skin. Usually, its effects are visible after two tanning sessions. The ingredients present in this lotion are Vitamin A& E and Australian oils.
Australian cheeky brown lotion and bronzer’s formula protects skin and makes it soft. Moreover, the product gets absorbed into the skin quickly and no oily residue is left behind on the skin.
3. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
Ed hardy coconut tanning lotion gets its name from coconut oil and milk as ingredients. It is a bronzer type lotion that increases the formation of melanin and thus, it promotes a dark and long lasting tan.
If you use this product for few sessions, it then keeps working even if you do not use it. It is helpful in tattoo protection too, as it gives a deep dark tan to it and extends its life period.
The lotion is quickly absorbed into the skin and is light in weight. This product works as both indoor as well as outdoor tanning lotion. However, this product did not show any results other than smooth and nice smelling skin for 10% of its users.
4. New Paint it Black Millennium Tanning Auto-Darkening Dark Tanning Lotion, 50X
It works best for fair skinned people. Outdoor use of it also gives smooth results.
Like other millennium tanning product, the silicon blend moisturizes skin and keeps it fresh all the day. It has nice cotton blossom scent that remains for a longer after tanning.
However, this product might show no effects, or the effects may be short lived.
5. Australian Gold Jwoww Black Bronzer Dark Tanning Lotion
Jwoww black bronzer is favorite among those who wants quick results. It produces dark color, even in the areas that are hard to tan like lowers legs.
Safe tanning without streaking makes it the best tanning lotion. Berry scents and any good moisturizer can enhance luxury in tanning experience. However, the product may not be according to your expectation as it may not result in darkling as expected.
6. New Jwoww Tanning Lotion Advanced Black Bronzer, ONE and DONE
It is an advanced black bronzer that contains organic yogurt base, black currant oil and infused with pear. If this product is blended with Shea butter, it works as a better moisturizer and skin protector.
It works fast and is a great product for sensitive skin. It is sometimes called one and done bronzer because you get results after using it for few sessions.
Odor eliminator in it, prevents unpleasant odor, itself it has a pleasant fruity odor. Note that the One and done bronzer is only valid up to 18 months after the release day.
However, many users of this product say that it is fast enough, while if you need intermediate results it might not be a good choice for you.
7. Designer Skin Black, 13.5 Ounce Bottle
Designer skin black is also a fast and one of the best indoor tanning lotion. It is without any stickiness, having a citrus scent.
The product contains silicone emulsifiers for soft and supple skin that last for a longer after a tanning session. Quick and long lasting makes it favorite among tanners.
There are no complaints of designer skin black bronzer, with the exception that it can leave orange streaks in creased areas such as between finger, elbow and knees.
A bottle of this product may be enough for a whole tanning season, as a small amount even do a great job. Thus, you do not need to over apply.
8. Ultra Dark 70X Supre-Snooki Black Bronzer with Skin Firm & Tone
It is also a good tanning bronzer, skin conditioner and all in one firming lotion. The product improves the skin texture and gives it a skin a toned appearance as well. Being enriched in vitamin, the conditioner gives the skin a healthier glow while the bronzer gives dark tan with a golden color.
This product darkens skin even after you leave the tanning lotion. No orange streaks develop if you use this lotion. Coconut and almond oil can increase the hydration of tanned skin for a smooth and nice look.
However, few people reported allergic reactions to the Super-snooki black bronzer, so it would be better to test before using it.
9. Ultra Dark Bronzer Millennium Tanning Insanely Black Tanning Lotion beyond Blaque, 60X 13.5 Ounce
The millennium insanely tanning lotion is not for sissies. Although it works fast, you’ll notice burning and become red and hot for the first time. Gradually, you will become cool and the redness will then turns to tan.
The second use of this product will be less uncomfortable while third time, you’ll not notice any discomfort at all. It is quicker than most of the sunless tanning products. If you’re willing a golden or dark tan, you should be prepared for the initial discomforts.
Most people love this product, while some say that it is unbearable because of their sensitivity. Few complained of red skin also after application for many hours.
10. Designer Skin Bombshell, 100XX Bronzer, 13.5 Ounce Bottle
Fans of designer skin bombshell describe exceptional results. But we recommend this product only to experienced tanners. The bronzer also has a tingle, and an accelerator.
If you’re using any other tanning lotion and results are not according to expectation and you want further darkening, a designer skin bombshell is a good option for your skin.
With other strong tingling lotion, it may product heat that is too much to bear. It can result in skin that remains red for a longer.
Conclusion and final thought on indoor tanning lotions
There are several cautions to consider before you start using any indoor tanning lotion.
- Always test on a small surface area. Everyone uses a product does not mean that it would be the best fit for your skin also. It means you need to try several tanning lotions before you find a best for yourself.
- Do a test of color too. The darken color may or may not be that you prefer.
- A product that is claiming to be effective as both indoor and outdoor are more usually more potent outside in sunlight. Therefore, use them with precautions and limit your time in direct sunlight.
- These lotions work better for up to 20 minutes maximum, if you spends an hour in the blazing sun, you are likely to get the sun
- Follow the precautions written on the bottle, or follow staff for safe tanning at the tanning salon.
- Always wash hand immediately after use of bronzers and tanners in order to prevent any discoloration around the finger. Protect clothes from oils, have a thorough shower and apply a good moisturizer after tanning.
- Tanning products are not for the use on children.
Best Outdoor tanning lotions: Reviews and guide
It is smart to use tanning lotion with the accelerator to bronze as quickly as you want. Not only it helps in darkening faster but also it protects skin from drying out. Before we review best outdoor tanning lotions, let us know the difference between self-tanners and oils and lotions.
Self-tanner vs. tanning lotion and oils:
Self-tanners contains dyes that bronze your skin as you apply them. The color gradually goes deep in few hour and lasts for a week or so. Some outdoor tanning lotions have self-tanners as an ingredient in them.
Tanning oils and lotions help the skin pigmentation darken and faster, thus these oils can protect you from dryness, wrinkles, burning and fine lines by moisturizing your skin.
Best outdoor tanning lotions: Top 10 List
Top 10 best & cheap outdoor tanning lotion are reviewed here:
1. Maui Babe Browning lotion:
Maui Babe is very popular among tanners. If you want to enjoy sunbathing for a longer, you can combine this lotion with a sunblock. It has two versions: One is with mineral oils which are used as outdoor tanning lotion, while the other version is with sunflower oil for indoor tanning purpose.
This product is brown in color and I must tell you that it is not a self-tanner.
According to the users, it feels greasy for sensitive skin. Maui browning can be combined with other outdoor tanning oils for enjoying the sunbath longer.
2. Australian Gold sinfully black and deep dark bronzer
All Australian gold’s products are the best selling products in the market.
Gold sinfully black bronzer contains propylene glycol and parabens. The hemp seed oil, caramel, sunflower oil, kukui nut and walnut shell extracts are used in its making. These things give amazing properties to this product. For example, it has a fruity smell, goes on smooth, and makes your skin soft.
Gold deep dark bronzer helps in building a golden brown base tan in a couple of weeks. One good thing about this product is that it can be used as indoor tanning lotion too.
3. Fractionated coconut oils by sky organics:
Coconut oil is great for your skin. It protects from harmful UV rays and does not have any unwanted chemical. Not only it softens but also helps in retaining moisture of your skin. Moreover, it has antiseptic properties that can help wounds and cut heal faster.
The fractionated coconut oil is always gentle on sensitive skins. But it is scent free. If you need a perfumed lotion, combine this product with any essential oil.
4. Swedish Beauty, Shea you love me
It is the best product for those who are having eczema and sensitive skin. The Swedish beauty, Shea you love me contains aloe and Vitamins A & E that make you look young, and Oatmeal and Shea butter soften the driest skin and keep it moisturized.
It is hypo-allergic and has no fragrance.
According to the manufacturer, this product has natural melanin enhancers which accelerate the tanning. Users love “Shea you love” because it helped them tan parts of the body that are actually difficult to tan.
5. Sun GodZ appolo/ Artemis bronzer tanning lotion
Sun GodZ is the best outdoor tanning lotion for those who want the darkest and fastest tanning. It contains many different ingredients, silicone, glycerine, argan, kukui, olive, coconut oils, hemp seeds and agave.
This product is formulated to protect tattoos from fading. It can also be used for indoor tanning.
6. Banana Boat deep tanning oil spray:
Banana boat oil is one of the cheap tanning lotions and sprays. It is for the people who want to get deep bronze. The manufacturer recommends it only to those who already have a darker pigmentation.
7. Supre smoke black bronzer:
Supre makes a lot of cheap tanning lotions, but these products usually work for the advanced users. The formulation is in such a way that it tans dark and protects from sun damage.
8. Sun Bum moisturizing sunscreen lotion:
Sun bum is approved by the skin cancer foundation. It protects against UV rays. It is gluten free. Moreover, it is non-comedogenic and does not contain parabens and PABA.
9. Hawaiian tropic dark tanning oil
Hawaiian tropic is great for several reasons. It is a blend of many natural rich essential oils. It helps in the tanning dark as well as offers skin protection from UV rays of the sun.
The product contains fruits, nut extracts, natural oils, aloe vera and cocoa butter. It keeps the skin moisturized and keeps it tanned dark for a longer.
However, the Hawaiian tropic is not good for sensitive skins.
10. Nivea sun-kissed Radiance tanner:
Nivea sun-kissed By Nivea designers has a variety of beautiful features. Some features are the same as other outdoor tanning lotions have such as:
- It gives rich and dark tan.
- It has a long lasting scent.
- Protection from UV rays.
- Provides you with a smooth and natural looking skin.
Other features are:
- It gives tanning within a week.
- Nivea Sun kissed Tanner keeps your skin hydrated.
- It is a good product for fair to medium skin.
- It is a cheap tanning lotion.
- Moreover, it is made of natural ingredients that safeguard your skin.
Best accessories for tanning outdoors
The following things can help you tan outdoor.
1. Duduma Fashion Sports Sunglasses Polarized Designer
2. Sunglasses with Tortoise Frames Flying Fisherman Fowey Polarized
3. Large Beach and Pool Towel, in Cabana Stripe by Utopia Towels
4. Wide Mouth Bottle of Klean Kanteen
5. Coleman Converta Cot
How to tan outdoors safely?
If you’re planning to tan outdoor, follow these guidelines:
- Protect your eyes with sunglasses.
- Don’t expose sensitive parts of your skin that haven’t seen the sun for a long time ever.
- Limit your time you pass outside.
- Choose the best outdoor tanning lotion, by trying the above listed.
- Apply lotion over all the body or those parts that are uncovered.
Further Reading: 5 Secrets to tanning lotions