If you ever had pneumonia, or someone who lives near you does, you may have question. “Is pneumonia contagious? Before I answer the question, it would be useful to know what pneumonia is?
What is pneumonia?
Pneumonia is an infection of lungs. If both lungs are effected, it is called double pneumonia. It is caused by bacteria, viruses and sometimes fungi. In pneumonia, the lungs become inflamed. They are filled with fluid and pus. It often causes cough. So, is pneumonia contagious?
Is pneumonia contagious?
Pneumonia is not contagious or infectious itself. But the causative agents such as bacteria, viruses and germs are contagious. They cause flu, common cold and other bacterial infections. Finally, it causes pneumonia. So, are contagious.
In short you can say, one transfers the pneumonia causing agents to other. These agents then cause this infection in others.
Contagious pneumonia causing agents:
People who are likely to get pneumonia:
- People with weak immune system are likely to get pneumonia. The immune system can get weakened because of medications.
- People with pre-existing medical problems.
- Babies with age 2 or near
- Old aged people above 60.
What is the incubation period for pneumonia?
Incubation period depends on the type of pathogen causing pneumonia. The incubation period means the period between the entry of parasite in host and the appearance of symptoms. The common symptoms of pneumonia includes:
- Fever and chills
- Shortness of breath
How long is pneumonia contagious?
Pneumonia causing agents become less contagious soon in a day or two after using antibiotics. However, the time depends on type of pathogen. Usually the organisms spread by contact with infected person’s mouth. In rare cases, the infection may spread and can lead to death.
How to prevent contagious pneumonia causing agents?
- Wash your hands with a good soap frequently.
- You should not contact with the people having cold or flu or some other bacterial infection.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking damages your lungs. Thus, makes it more likely have some infection such as pneumonia.
- Make your immune system strong. This can be done by maintaining healthy diet, daily exercise and enough sound sleep.
What is walking pneumonia?
Walking pneumonia is a non-medical term. It describes the mild case of pneumonia.
When you visit your doctor, he can also answer, the question. Is pneumonia contagious?