How to know if you are really feeling heartburn? How to get rid of it? What does heartburn feel like? What to do if you often feel heartburn? These are topics that we’ll cover in this article.
Content of the article
What is heartburn?
Heartburn is a sensation of burning down in the chest. It occurs when the stomach content goes up to the esophagus. Many people in the world suffer from heartburn once a month. Everyone wants to get rid of these painful or burning sensations. Spicy foods are one of the biggest causes. So,what does heartburn feel like?
What does heartburn feel like?
When the stomach splashes acid up to the esophagus, heartburn occurs. Its signs and symptoms vary from person to person. But most common symptoms are among different people are here.
- A feeling of burning in the chest after eating. It can last from a few minutes to several hours.
- Chest pain may also occur. But here you should visit the doctor, because it may also be a sign of heart attack.
- It occurs due to hot, sour, spicy and acidic foods. So, it leads to burning in the throat.
- Swallowing food can also get difficult in this situation.
- Heartburn can cause a chronic sore throat and cough.
Is it heartburn or heart attack?
Chest pain is common in both cases and can lead to the emergency room. Some people with chest pain may be suffering from heart attack, other may have heartburn.
So, what does heartburn feel like? You need to remember that if heartburn is severe, then it leads to chest pain. In other cases, it must be a heart attack. Also, know what does heart attack feel like?
In old age, the sign and symptom of heart attack and heartburn are same i.e. chest pain. It becomes even more complex to differentiate. Some typical signs of heartburn you should see then are:
- A sharp feeling of burning below ribs.
- The pain would not radiate to shoulders, neck, arms in case of heartburn. It would be otherwise in a heart attack.
- The burning and pain usually come after the meal.
- Heartburn symptoms can easily be treated with antacids.
Typical signs of heart attack are as:
- Chest tightness and severe pain in the center of the chest.
- It is usually sudden.
- It causes dizziness.
- Pain generally spreads to shoulder, neck, and jaws.
- It causes shortness of breath.
Note: If you find signs of heart attack, visit the nearest hospital immediately.
Heartburn is a sign of GERD. GERD stands for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Risk factors include the foods that increase the production of HCl in our stomach. Some common foods that we eat and drink lead to acid production, leading to heartburn. Other causes include:
- Too many chocolates.
- Carbonated beverages such as coke, Pepsi etc.
- Acidic juices
- Foods that contain acid such as grape, orange, pineapple.
- Consumption of high fats foods.
After learning causes, you must think that there should be some home remedies so that one can easily get rid of heartburn. Below are the natural and home remedies.
Natural and home remedies to get rid of heartburn.
- A spoon of baking soda can treat you against acid burning caused by acid reflux.
- Use Aloe juice. This juice can treat heartburn because it soothes the inflammations in the stomach and esophageal walls.
- Chewing gum. You would be wondering how chewing gum can help to get rid of heartburn. But it is so. As you chew gum, the saliva glands produce more and more saliva. The saliva, as a result, dilutes the acid in the stomach.
- You should keep your chin up. Why? Because it keeps your stomach content remain inside your stomach. So, it would not cause acid reflux.
- Eat a banana or an apple. Apple and Banana have natural antacid that can neutralize the acid in the stomach.
- Make ginger root tea. Ginger root tea can help getting rid of many stomach problems including heartburn.
- Track what triggers heartburn. Instead of using counter medications, you can give an end to heartburn by knowing the triggers.
- Avoid tightfitting clothes in the middle of the body. It can worsen heartburn.
- Smoking and alcohol can cause heartburn. So you need to avoid.
- You should maintain a healthy weight. It leads to GERD.
- Mustard can be used to get rid of heartburn. It is because it has alkaline properties. Thus, neutralizes the acid and make you smile.
- You should be careful while eating and also a time of meal is important. Eat slowly and the foods that are less acidic. Don’t eat a meal late at night times.
Heartburn treatment with medications
In order to avoid heartburn, you should bring some changes in lifestyle. These may include:
- Eat less meal at a single time.
- Avoid eating late at night.
- You should avoid alcohol, caffeine, and aspirin.
- Avoid smoking.
- Keep your head elevated with a pillow at night during sleep. It would keep the acid in stomach avoiding acid reflux.
Heartburn treatment medicines:
Antacids are usually taken to neutralize the acid in the stomach. Other medicines that are used are: